Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wonder Fair, Day One

After a month long hiatus, I'm officially "ready" to use my process blog again. The mental break was much needed.

- - -

Today is my first day at the Wonder Fair gallery in Lawrence, KS. I fell into this internship because of my acquaintance with Lee Piechocki, who also works in Admissions on campus. Although this internship is geared more towards writing, I will still be doing several design projects. Writing will be a major component of what I design as well.

My main role is to be an intern, let them throw tasks at me, observe and work, and then process and analyze what is happening around me and what I am accomplishing.

So far, it's been, shall we say, "interesting".

My first encounter here began like this:



Except it was taped to the front door. Reading "Join Us" felt like the first step towards drinking the kool-aid, but I let it slide and did as I was told.

"The Boys", which before I go any further, I should define. The Boys are the four gentlemen who own and operate the gallery. I had met all but one previously at a show opening a few months back. Lee, whom I've already mentioned, is a painter by trade. He and I already have a good working relationship. Jason runs a podcast, loves Twitter, is a printmaker, and is a redhead much like myself. His laugh is awesome. Kelly is another printmaker with an M.F.A. and is working his way into teaching. Lastly, there is Eric, a printmaker who takes the role of the nice guy. He was the first to jump in and ask me questions and to show me around the space. I would say he's the man in charge, but they all play crucial roles in the space. Perhaps ringleader is the proper term.

I walk into 715 and they are sitting at a small table, sipping mimosa's, eating bits of pineapple. I sit down and the round of introductions was over before it began. I sat there, probably awkwardly, and listened to the banter between longtime friends. Most boys don't appreciate a female breaking into "bro time". The waitress dropped off their checks, with them telling her to keep the change, using her first name. I consider this my first taste of how small and friendly this community really is. Walking back to the gallery, they are stopped by another familiar face.

Eric walked me through the basic steps of opening shop, taking money, and cleaning. Then, they introduced the next phase of what this internship entails.

In addition to the weekly task of watching the gallery space and updating the Intern Blog, Wonder Fair will be involved with the Spencer Art Museum Book Store. They are planning to completely change the space into a movie theater and show curated YouTube videos, as well as original content. They've asked ME to design the space (using cardboard, paint, and paper) into the theater.

This. Is. Big.

I wonder if they saw my eyes visibly widen. Lee hadn't really prepared me for a task this large. But, the more I think about it, the more excited I get. Ideas are already flowing in. I can't wait to see the space and what it has to offer me.

This initial meeting only lasted an hour or so. They gave me a series of small tasks to complete while I'm here by my lonesome.


When they asked me to cut out their business cards with an x-acto and ruler, I laughed. It was at this moment that I realized I would never escape straight-edges and lethal blades.


Task one complete!


I then had to repair this hexagonal cone so it could go back on the wall. Task two complete!


My last task is to familiarize myself with the merchandize in the shoppe portion of the space. This includes studying the work itself as well as researching the artists themselves.









I've already recognized my first artist - Biklops Design has some stickers laying out.

The rest of my day will consist of waiting for gallery visitors, studying artists in the store, and sketching ideas for the theater. I'm excited for this internship. The potential experience meter is bursting over the "F" line. I just hope I can keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment