The first major project of my internship at the Wonder Fair is called the "Our Tube" project. The gallery was invited to essentially take over the Spencer Art Museum Gallery this summer. What Wonder Fair decided to do was curate You Tube videos and show them in a "serious" (that's not quite the right word...) space. In addition to the set of videos, we will be making our own response videos to the originals.
My main contribution to the project is designing the movie theater space to be installed in the Spencer Gallery. Essentially, this is a Project Runway task. They gave me materials (cardboard) and a budget (TBD) and said "Go".
While I'm still in the beginning stages of conceptualizing the theater, promotions need to start getting out there. The Boys had gone hunting for tubes last Sunday to take pictures of for the promotion. Lee told me about this and I helped him conceptualize the rest of the way. I thought it be fun to incorporate the analog part of this project by introducing hand cut cardboard elements.
This images shows the bones of what I started with. The curtains allude to the movie theater and the type's imperfections are playful.
This is how it begins to look with an image behind it. I had a few images to test out with with the cardboard elements. Legibility quickly became a problem.
After some rounds of critique and knowing what all must be on the piece, I proceeded with more iterations.
Again, legibility and placement is a problem. However, I am feeling comfortable about my type lockup. The vacant rectangle is for the Spencer Museum logo.
To try to combat the legibility issues, I muted the colors of the image to hep the text pop a little better. I'm hesitant to put all the text in black, but the white jumps out too much and is still difficult to read.
We're approaching the final product, but a lot of work still needs to be done.
Soon, I'll be posting my sketches of the beginning of the cardboard theater.




No comments:
Post a Comment