We have begun making our collected information aesthetically pleasing and using composition to control the reader's experience with the information. Today, we showed peers and Jamie Gray a few versions of "beautifully" arranged information. To be honest, I was dreading talking to Jamie because I consistently have a hard time dreaming up beautiful compositions (I need to see before I can do). However, talking with Jamie put me at ease and she offered some really good directions for me to go in.
My information is all there, I just have to concentrate on type and composition. I'm going to dial back the color and focus on a beautiful and interesting composition, using type hierarchy to push the composition to the next level. I did a few things that are just flat out not working - both timelines. The formal explorations of the two timelines simply fell flat and are too confusing to the reader. However, my US map is going in the right direction and I've started doing some good things with the type hierarchy.
Jamie asked if how I was enjoying this project. I guess my nerdiness is obvious in regards to my love of learning and research. She suggested that infographics may be a good path for me to go down. (I was astonished)
In class, we browsed the web to find an infographic that inspires us or has an appropriate aesthetic to our current project. I found one through Good.Is that is from the NY Times about meat consumption in the US over a span of 100 years.
I was drawn to this graphic because it is successfully doing a few things I'm desperately trying to do in my infographics. It is combining sets of data, calling out important events in a clean, straightforward manner. The X and Y labels aren't distracting or detracting from the design. The reader gets a clear sense of movement and also learns a few interesting tidbits along the way. Moving forward, I'll keep my eye to this graphic for my timelines.
I am also looking to this graphic for is strong grid and hierarchy. The composition here is confident and once again, straightforward - a key element (I believe) for many infographics.
The final project is due in a week and a half. I'm excited and anxious all wrapped up in one. Let's see what I can do.







No comments:
Post a Comment