Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Dark Icon

My parents' bookshelf was always fascinating for me when I was growing up. There were lots of books that I knew were important. As a fourth grader (9 -10 years old), I remember selecting odd books for SSR (sustained silent reading time) in Elementary school. After SSR, we had to discuss the books with our table mates. Some of the volumes I shared were Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, and an Edgar Allan Poe anthology of short stories.

Reading these books at that age, I truly focused on the stories themselves - not the deep, conceptual meanings that we are forced to find in them now. I vividly remember the innocent curiosity I had unwrapping the horrors of Edgar Allan Poe's world. His literary presence remains an important one in the forefront of my mind.


Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849) was born in Boston, MA to David and Elizabeth Poe. Poe's parents separated early in his childhood and his mother died soon thereafter. He was taken in by the Allan family, thus adopting their surname as his middle name. Poe was educated at the University of Virginia in 1826, but never completed a degree. Due to a heavy drinking problem, he quickly developed a large debt. After leaving school, the Allan family shunned him. Poe joined the U.S. Army in 1827. He was dismissed for disregarding his military duties three years later.

Poe's first break came after his move to New York City and becoming editors for different publications during his stay. While keeping this day job, he worked on his own poetry and short stories. In 1843, his short story The Gold Bug sold around 300,000 copies.

Towards the end of his life, Poe fell deeper into psychosis and alcoholism. He died on October 7, 1849. While no one know precisely what caused Poe's death, many speculate.

His death has left behind a legacy of brilliant, macabre literary work. His writing has stirred up the spirit of mystery in all of us. One mysterious "Poe Toaster" visits Poe's grave on his birthday, leaving a partially filled bottle of cognac and three red roses.







To begin this project properly,  one must read the selections from the book "Type Image Meaning". The text notes that from the beginning of a design project, the relationships type, image, and meaning, must be continually integrated. The principles of design are going to be extremely important in this poster making process. Without ample consideration to all principles, the final image can fall flat quickly. My wheels are already turning. I am looking forward to creating the final output.



quotes


"To be thoroughly conversant with a man's heart, is to take our final lesson in the iron-clasped volume of despair."


"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." 


"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears."


"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."


"I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat."


sources

http://poestories.com/biography.php

http://www.biography.com/articles/Edgar-Allan-Poe-9443160

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/

http://www.brainyquote.com

No comments:

Post a Comment