Even through the excitement and subsequent urge to slack off, I managed to have a rather productive Snow Day. I do, however, regret that I was not brave enough to brave the storm to visit studio because I was looking forward to examining the physical mock-up.
For the cover, I decided with the color photograph of the farm (as opposed to the black and white image) to add a deeper touch of life to the Amish culture. While their values may be black and white, their love of life is vibrant and joyful - thus deserving color. I do need some tweaking of the elements within the cover, but I need a second (third, fourth, etc.) pair of eyes to see what's missing.
I selected a washed out, wood grain texture for the background after suggestions from critique. I went for the grain, as opposed to siding, because I felt the strong linear elements in the background would be too distracting. I also examined the difference between a full bleed image and a cut-out image in relation to smaller, contained images.
I put together a sample of corner options. I'm leaning towards the 45 degree angle corners. They are a delicate touch without being overly distracting like the indented corners I used in my first spread mock-ups.
Michael Armstrong came over to play and do homework. He took a look at my spreads and helped me get to a full mock-up of the book.
Before Michael took a look, some of my objects on the left were not grounded in space. It looked like the objects were sitting awkwardly on a table that was in an entirely different plane. I corrected them, so that all objects some how fit into a space separate from the background.
I think I've improved a lot from what I showed on Monday. I am maintaining the simplicity of the Amish culture, while adding in a modern sense of organization. I am still uncertain of order. Currently, they are in the order of my file folders, but I don't really like how that looks. I think I will build up from least stereotypical object, such as water pump, to most stereotypical, the horse and buggy.
Overall, I'm really enjoying this project. (Don't tell the other teachers, but it's my favorite project so far) I'm anxious to develop the Amish culture over multiple mediums. Focusing on "one subject" for the full 15 weeks will be a good change of pace from other classes.
I'm looking forward to your feedback.













Hey Sam, is it possible to find another image of wood for your background that doesn't have a knot in it or where the knot isn't so isolated in your layout? It's drawing too much attention to itself.
ReplyDeleteThe background looks good on screen. Be sure when it is printed it still has a richness and warmth (not washed out and muddy).
ReplyDeleteTry including more textual description on the cover (sub-title). Rather than three words, work it into a sentence that gives us more context (such as who, where or when).
You've got a good start. Address the following two things and you'll be in a good place:
1. MORE IMAGES
The empty center area should be put to better use (a value I'm sure the Amish can get behind). It is problematic aesthetically. You have a two column grid on that page - use it.
I enjoy the c.o.b. imagery but it lacks depth and contrast. You have a good idea here but you need to take it to the next level in your execution - try collage, layering, scale changes, etc. Plus, here is an opportunity to showcase a few more of the artifacts per page and/or contextual images too.
2. MORE VARIETY
Your consistency is becoming redundant. For example, you can be consistent in the vertical alignment, but random in the horizontal alignment of photos. Or for example, you can include a different quantity of "framed" photos per page (offering the viewer a new take on the layout at each page turn).
Finally, break across that seam! See each composition as a whole spread - not two individual pages that cuts off the c.o.b. picture at the center.