Sunday, October 3, 2010

Discovering Rhythm

In the latest installment of the selection from the Lupton book, a lot of 'familiar' concepts were brought up again in relation to our line explorations. The text reiterated how lines are a path, drawing a viewer's eyes across a composition. Combination of lines also create rhythm and pattern, which create visual music.

What I found most compelling was the notion of 'found rhythms', in which a specific assignment was described. Students found and cropped images and paired them with loosely related text, creating a visual story with fresh compositions. This process of discovery rather than formulated intent struck a cord in me. In this assignment, I need to cut loose and mute all the jargon running through my head while I built compositions. I simply need to do, then see. And perhaps, I, too, can discover my own beating rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment