Monday, September 6, 2010

i just made an inappropriate connection


The letter I received from Ms. Marty Lane was "K". In regards to what I've been doing in my other class (researching 19th c. slavery), any joke on the repetition of the letterform "K" would be largely inappropriate.

Plus, she already thinks I'm a radical.

I just like history and social trends. Because I've studied both, I've lost faith in them.

Moving on,

Our first part of the letterform project was to create 3 compositions to be regarded as beautiful. Let's just say I struggled.


After the initial quick charcoal sketches I did in class, I decided to try painting with ink. As you can tell from the wrinkles, it didn't work too well. Plus the composition is mediocre. After sleeping on it, I decided to race before class to do another image for uppercase Garamond K.
Even worse. My materials were way wrong and the composition is typical. This is just bad. All over.


The next letter I struggled with was the lowercase Garamond k. I decided to change materials and try to "emerge" the letterform by scribbling.
Yeah I know, still struggling. I didn't present this one in class.


This is the one I presented. Still a bland composition. It looks like a 1990s JCPenney portrait.



The second phase of the project, I tried harder and got better materials to work with. We were supposed to still have beautiful compositions but also incorporate 5 or more anatomical labels. It was more informational design this time.

This was one of the compositions I presented:

I tried to improve upon my very first uppercase Garamond K composition. But, this whole piece is a joke. I used the printed out letters because I thought my own handwriting was ugly, but so are the cutout letters. This composition cannot be resurrected.

But I'm going to keep chugging away. I am redoing a series of drawings for this project, which I will write a post about upon completion.

For now, just mock my failures. It'll make both of us feel better.



No comments:

Post a Comment