Tuesday, September 7, 2010

humanity

American Slavery: Punishment of a Female Slave, New Orleans, c. 1846 by Samuel Gridley Howe

"The poor creature writhed and shrieked, and, in a voice which showed alike her fear of death and her dreadful agony, screamed to her master, who stood at her head, 'O, spare my life! Don't cut my soul out!' But still fell the horrid lash; still strip after strip peeled off from the skin; gash after gash was cut in her living flesh, until it became a livid and bloody mass of raw and quivering muscle. It was with the greatest difficulty I refrained from springing upon the torturer, and arresting his lash; but, alas! what could I do, but turn aside to hide my tears for the sufferer, and my blushes for humanity?"

Grim, yes. But this was reality for thousands only 150 years ago. For the final installment of this project, I have decided to study and communicate Slavery for the book project.
The list:


1. Inequality

2. Oppression

3. Segregation

4. Struggle

5. Survival

6. Force

7. Discrimination

8. Displacement

9. Commodity

10. Damaged

11. Torture

12. Corrupt


Potential Titles:


Gash After Gash: the Plight of a Slave


The Rebel's Pride


Bound in Chains: Slavery


"all you need is cruel injustice and a dream"



The last title is in quotes because this site helped me out.


Compositions are proving to be tough, but I really want to carry out this concept. I think the focus on quality is holding me back some. The words I've chosen are a tad complex and I'm struggling for words like "force" and "oppression" to not look exactly like one another. Because of this dilemma, my production of thumbnails has slowed dramatically. They are due tomorrow and I don't even have five per word yet.


The reading came at a good time during my production phase. I just need to crank up the volume and churn out compositions - the good, the bad, and especially the ugly.





No comments:

Post a Comment