Thursday, April 14, 2011

Magazine Layout Conceptualizin'

In Type class, we have begun moving forward - back into magazine world. We are taking our infographics from Vis Com and utilizing them in a "real" spread. Before we dove in, we began with exercises. First we outlined a published magazine spread to understand how grid structures are being used by professionals. Then we did a series of quick leading studies. Below is my chosen leading, Adobe Jenson 10/12.


Then we moved into conceptualizing opener spreads. We did three versions, trying to capture 3 distinct layout plans. 




For moving forward, I'm combining two initial concepts. The opening page is the first page of the third layout and the second page is the first page of the second layout. Yes that is a mouthful, but trust me, it looks rather nice.

Now, we are moving into the full article layout. I'm nervous about mine because I have an artocious amount of body copy. I've already cut out half of the original article... and I still have 7 pages of pure text left. O.o

So far, I'm pretty excited about this project. It is a nice blend of "real world" application, interesting design concepts, and is somewhat ... and I use this term EXTREMELY LIGHTLY... easy/laid back. The enjoyment of the work makes the load seem light - there, that's a better way to phrase it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you need heavier homework assignments. I kid. I kid.

    ReplyDelete