Friday, March 18, 2011

Keetra Dean Dixon

Keetra Dean Dixon stopped by KCAI last Thursday and Friday. It was a joy having her experience our little slice of life.

To be honest, I wasn't too blown away with the work she had on her site, nor the way it was laid out. I appreciated her sense of form-making, I just wasn't attracted to the end result of most of her forms. I'm not sure what picture I have in my head for what a Designer's site should look like, but let's just say I was underwhelmed. I carried this mentality with me to the Current Perspectives lecture, but hoping to see something beyond the work she has on her site.

To my utmost joy, her bubbly presentation inflated my passion for Design to its bursting point. Keetra came at a beautiful time in my life. What she had to share fit perfectly with the troubles I've been going through in my personal and professional life.

Keetra shared with us a smattering of her professional and personal work. It was interesting to see the differences and similarities between the two. Further, it was interesting to hear the stories and thought process' behind her work, which helped me appreciate her work on a deeper level. The most important lesson I extracted from Keetra's lecture was the importance of making and studying for yourself - with no intention or purpose other than the love of creating. I've often struggled to find my own voice or point of view in my work, so it was a good message to hear.

This sentiment came along at a perfect time because I was hesitantly beginning my own formal studies - the shadow paintings. Her lecture encouraged me to plunge head first into my side projects, developing my individual voice.

In short, thank you Keetra for the inspiration to passionately create for the self.

No comments:

Post a Comment