Thursday, March 17, 2011

Amish Country

During my Spring Break " vaca' ", I got the opportunity to visit Cantril, IA - a "bustling" Amish/Mennonite community. We made a pilgrimage to the Dutchmen Country General Store, which had books, groceries, fabric, AND real-life-German-speaking-Amish. I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to experience their country and hopefully dig up some information for the latest part of our Infographic project.



they have... interesting literary tastes... 


most of these were "just add water" - for all sorts of things. 


bleh. 


they had multiple signs like this. 



enlarge to see the Amish at the end of the aisle and yes, i'm going to Hell for taking a picture of them. 


This store was a great starting place for my research. I bought a few (slightly over-priced and extremely biased) books about their history and doctrines. I've already started digging in. Let me tell you, I'm just at the surface of this rabbit hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment