Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Icon Summation

The icon is truly drawing to a close, but not an end. The set we've been developing will soon be applied over a vast set of media. 

The project began from humble beginnings; developing photos into simple illustrations, and finally digitized icons. 


The cow became an "iconic" part of my icon set. It is the first drawing I made using the minimalist, simplified stroke. I took that sentiment and then applied it to a full set of icons. 



The working Amish values I kept in mind throughout the entire process was "simplicity". As I began to further develop the set, "efficiency" also became a buzz word to describe my set. I've economized the actual number of lines I used, showing only the most basic of information to get across the artifact, much like the Amish use the most basic of resources to live. 

Using the rules of economization, simplicity, and efficient, formal decisions arose. These decisions formed a set of "rules" that help the set function as a cohesive unit. My rule set was to eliminate hard lines and angles and use only 3 - 4 lines to form an object. Color also adds to cohesion, although my set could theoretically function in any color (although that could impact legibility and/or concept). 



Legibility is the weakest part of my set. The smaller my set gets, the more the spaces between the lines blend. Further, important details begin to get lost - specifically in the cow udder and the church cross. For my set, functioning at a size smaller than .5 inches would become a real challenge of readability. 




Overall, my set provides a fresh outlook on the Amish culture. It captures the true essence of the culture, not just their perceived aesthetic. This project has been an extremely beneficial ordeal. I've learned new things about how to control digital craft as well as useful analog creative processes. I'm excited to see how we'll be applying our icons and to explore the Amish culture on a new level.

No comments:

Post a Comment