Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Billboard Sketching

Today, we had a series of sketches due in regards to our campaign. We were assigned to create 5 different conceptual sketches for our quotes in billboard format.

Before I began sketching, I checked out a few sites to help inspire me, here and here. While they are all good billboards, I found it seemingly irrelevant to the task at hand. We have much more content to work with and are also assuming these billboards will not be on the highway.






We presented our different versions to the class. Honestly, I was displeased with what I had to show - especially after seeing what my classmates were able to accomplish. I think choosing a theme of "perfection" is really frightening, making me afraid to explore - or some other BS like that. The truth is that I was just trying to get 5 distinct.. "things" on a page, without really giving any consideration to how I felt about my concept. 

What I'm figuring out is that in order for me to actually create something decent, I need to produce a lot, get feedback and see what other people are doing, then produce another set of a bunch of stuff. Creating a multitude of options and "vomiting" all that I have in my system onto a page seems to be the only system that is really working for me. 

The class was drawn to the first iteration, however, my color choices were uniformly sad. Lucky for me, Abby Carr has a wonderful little book that helps with color theory and picking interesting color schemes. 

Moving forward, I have a more clear perspective of what can happen with this project. I've already been selecting more "updated" color schemes and I have been banned from using a serif typeface. Due on Friday, we have another set of billboard sketches and we are moving into bus sketches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment