You didn't know any of this previously, Marty, but I've been staving off mini-panic attacks. All good now, though.
As any collegiate Day One would have you, we already have our first assignment. We are to research a quote that embodies "what design is/about." Yeah, I know what you're thinking. That's the most difficult question to answer in broad terms. I do believe, however, that there can only be a personal definition for what design is and what it means to you.
In 2008, Bryony Gomez - Palacio and Armin Vit published Women of Design. This collection features several important female figures in the design world. The book contained a brief biography of each designer, a sample of their work, and answers to interview questions.
Barbara Kruger recieved the following prompt:
"Unlike other artists, graphic designers have a certain affinity to your work, with an instant connection based on our shared use of commercial imagery and typography. You probably don't want to outcast anyone, but is this reciprocal? Do you find a different connection with commercial artists than fine artists?"
To which she replied:
"The graphic design subculture is full of incredibly "creative" people, and by that I mean there is a necessity to be fluent in a million different styles and visual overtures. The reason for this is that, in many ways, the assignment is to construct someone else's image of perfection alongside your own. The difference to me between a so-called artist and a so-called designer is a client relation."
From this, I derived the quote that I will be transferring onto a 7x5 letterpress card.
"To construct someone else's image of perfection alongside your own."
I selected this quote because it is the perfect synthesis of self development and the development of a client's concept simultaneously. In several quotes, design was portrayed as a selfish act - "i'm inspiring people, i create for me, design is obsession."
The key to successful design is the audience. They must understand what you are trying to communicate. Yes, it is your work, but you do this work for them, not entirely for yourself (no matter how much you may want to). Barbara Kruger reminds the reader to keep yourself in mind, but to not cast out your inevitable partner in your design practice - the participant.

Great post, Sam. You have an astute sense of audience, even at this early stage in your design career.
ReplyDelete