Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Final 9


Today in class, we discussed our photos with a partner. Mine was Patrick. We compared photos, analyzing the artifact choices, the variety of the images, and which images needed better craft. Overall, I had found some nice images, which assisted in the narrowing down process.  

Gathering the photos was difficult for me, as I found most of them online (instantly reducing their quality). I went to Half-Price books to find a book on the Amish or the Mennonites, only finding one illustrated account of the culture. The rest of the books were paragraphs in World Religion texts. 

When Jamie looked at my photos (post-Patrick),  my paranoia instantly vanished. I don't feel behind and I feel like I'm comprehending everything that I need to at this point.

This weekend, I need to work on finding better Barn images and making better quilt images. I have a non-traditional quilt at home, but I was hesitant to photograph it. I also have a lot of image editing and retouching to do. As of now, Jamie hasn't announced our homework officially, but the blog suggests that we're exploring cover design and layout for the book that these images are going to end up in.

My book will be difficult to design keeping the Amish in mind because they value simplicity, but are also anti-modernists. Modern style itself is minimalist. So we'll see where my mind takes me.

The Amish have always fascinated me, so I'm glad I landed here on this topic for the semester. Plus they have delicious bread, so I may have to do some field work...

No comments:

Post a Comment