I am a stugglin'.
Already, I know. Pitiful. I'm extremely paranoid that I'm doing something horribly wrong. Like everyone has had some grand epiphany over break that I somehow missed out on. I can tell if the butterflies are nerves or excitement. *le sigh*
Our first project in Image class is an exploration of self via portraiture. But, not just any portraiture. We are experience self portrait through semiotics. We must produce images that fall under three categories of signs - icon, index, and symbol. This is where the struggling begins.
Icon is a direct resemblance of a sign (sign meaning me). It is a physical representation. Cut and dry, open for interesting work, I get it.
Index is more conceptual in a way as it represents a direct link to the sign without actually illustrating the sign itself. In example, an image of an empty mug and saucer may lead to think of coffee or tea. Done, I get it.
Symbol is the nail in the tire. I have burning ideas for the other two categories, but symbol is alluding me. I'm thinking too literal and I'm paranoid of being 'incorrect'. According to our handout, a symbol has "no logical connection to the sign and what it means". As Tyler put it, it is a symbol that we come to learn and understand - it is not immediately evident.
I am not a brand [yet, i suppose]. I have not spent time developing a mark unique to me [because I still don't know exactly how I want to portray myself without words]. I am strugglin'.
The only idea I have is to "interestingly photograph my signature" and that is... just.. uninteresting. I want the images to be cohesive and interesting and indicative of me. But I just can't see it in me yet... what I want other people to recognize as ME QUA ME!
I need to talk to my studio mates or something...
No comments:
Post a Comment