Monday, January 24, 2011

An Archeological Dig

Today is the first day back from an extremely long, slightly restful winter break. I've kept the same schedule as last year, which means Jamie Gray is first.
We began class with a syllabus, which outlined the semester (loosely). We are currently in the process of picking a topic that we will be with all semester. In classic Jamie form, we began with a collaborative mind map. From there, specific cultures were selected. Now, we are to deduce the essential values and artifacts for two cultures.

I selected Vikings and the Amish. I chose those two because I find them both interesting. My extended family is from Iowa and every time we make the trek, we pass through Amish country. And they make delicious bread. The Vikings, well, they are just plain badass.

Viking Values

Honor
Strength
Exlporation
Colonialization
Revenge (against the brutal, forced Christianization in Scandinavia)
Seamanship

Viking Artifacts
Longship (Drakkar, Norse for Dragon)
Knarr (another type of Viking ship, primarily a merchant vessel)
Gold
Fur
Tusks
Seal fat
Slaves
Helmet
Shield
Chainmail
Sword
Spear
Hand axe
Runestones
Sutton Hoo Helmet
Silver

Amish Values
Christian Values
Family
Simplicity
Anti-Modernization
Ordnug (means order, observances that must be kept by each member)
Tradition
Nonresistance 
Patriarchy
Community (The Greater Whole)

Amish Artifacts
Plain Attire
Quilts
Butter Churn
Cows
Horses
Buggy
Church
Barn
Bible
One-room School
Bonnets
Sun hats
Sewing Needles
Handmade Furniture
Wood/Lumber
Wagon Wheel
Wheel Barrow
Horse-drawn Plow
Apron
Outhouse
Rag Dolls
Llama

No comments:

Post a Comment