Monday, October 18, 2010

Critique Questions

SELF CRIT


1. What is the visual strength of the image/line study selection and pairing? How could it be improved?

Overall, my line pairings are strong. Granted, I have a few that could be better, but minimum, I have three successful ones. I just need to choose the correct ones to translate into poster iterations and I haven't been making the best decisions in that regard. 

2. How is the photograph legible, well composed, engaging? How should it be improved?

I am split 50/50 in the legibility of my posters. For some, such as the Nelson and the Union Station posters, I kept the image in its entirety. While for posters like Downtown and Midtown, I removed far too much of the language of the photograph. I need to find a happy medium that preserves compositional strengths but keeps the context of the photo. 

3. Is line quality study well crafted? Where should it be improved?

I feel that my line studies are done well. However, they tend to get lost in the whole of the poster's composition. 

4. Is the type choice and placement integrated and appropriate?

My type choices are appropriate, however their placement is always a tad awkward and too loud for the image. I need to reel in the type, control its form more, and place it visually rather than informatively. 

5. How does the overall composition dynamically employ principles of scale, framing, orientation, alignment, continuation? How could it be improved?

My scale is out of control as I fill up the entire page each and every time, (I think this roots in my charcoal drawing lessons, by the way) which deals with framing and orientation, however I am using them ineffectively. I have begun to slightly use continuation and alignment - but I'm just not there yet. Basically, I am not getting composition well at all. So I need to just start over. 

6. How well do the graphic elements communicate the neighborhood?

I feel that I am getting the essence of the neighborhood through type choices, but not much else. I need to rethink and refocus to better exploit the qualities of each area. 






JESSICA'S CRIT


1. What is the visual strength of the image/line study selection and pairing? How could it be improved?


The visual strength of the pairing for midtown and downtown are not as evident as they could be. I feel that the line study could be a bit more evident while still experimenting within the set parameters. The pairing is not as evident in some of Samantha's posters, particularly the compositions of downtown, because so much of the compositions contain flat black shapes. I think that by adding a more organic shape to the overall composition, the composition will be much more interesting. 

2. How is the photograph legible, well composed, engaging? How should it be improved?


The photographic elements in the posters of KCAI and Downtown are the most representative of Kansas City. The textures on the buildings display characteristics of each area. Although the photos of downtown are very much cropped, cut, and pasted I still visual understand that the downtown area is what is being displayed. 

3. Is line quality study well crafted? Where should it be improved?


The line study in all of the posters are rather difficult to see.  Again, this is because of the dominant black shapes through out the posters. The line studies are over powered by the bold black shapes. 

4. Is the type choice and placement integrated and appropriate?


The typefaces used in each composition are appropriate. The choice of the typeface used in the compositions of the Nelson-Atkins is elegant and classic, which is what I associate with the Nelson. The placement of the type in all compositions could be integrated much more seamlessly. I find myself reading the type rather than focusing on the compositions themselves. 

5. How does the overall composition dynamically employ principles of scale, framing, orientation, alignment, continuation? How could it be improved?


The framing in all of the compositions seem to take up the entire page. Variety in framing could be a nice change from the constant square orientation. The alignment of the type could correspond better to the line study it is a part of. The type, in most of the compositions, in relation to the line study does not correlate to any particular line, it is kind of just floating on the page. 

6. How well do the graphic elements communicate the neighborhood?


The neighborhoods seem to be well represented. Each of the images used incorporate an important characteristic, such as brick.

No comments:

Post a Comment