Monday, August 30, 2010

"...to instruct, to delight, and to motivate"

There are a multitude of appropriate answers to the question "Why graphic design?" On the surface, design has become a necessity for the functionality of our industrialized society. Packaging, street signs, instructions, print media, and the internet barely scratch the surface of the practical use of design. While all of that appeases my decision on this major, there is a little more to it for me. Simply, I love to format. I love the control over my audience, picking elements to emphasis and organize according to my discretion. On a different note, I find formatting relaxing and methodical. Once you create the style, going though the entire document is repetitive and calming. That simple love I have for formatting is the reason why I knew design was 'right' for me.

Other's opinions on what design is only furthers my happiness with the choice I made. On the surface, design is mainly a specific form of art. The further you go, the deeper the 'rabbit hole' goes. Collaboration is a necessity. In order to work with sculptors, photographers, illustrators, and writers, a common language is spoken - opening up designers to the 'proper fine art' realm. We are not just a group of glasses wearing, carpel tunnel having tech nerds - we are leaders of the fine art scene, both promoting and partaking in the culture.


Stefan Sagmeister is a graphic designer who puts himself wholly into his work, even if it means sacrificing his own comfort. His working philosophy is to start with the hard things, then finish with the easy tasks. What I found interesting about his process is that he forces himself to write. Writing is an important part of my own life and is gradually becoming important in my design life. His discipline and dedication is inspiring. I will seek to employ his own philosophy in my work in the weeks and years to come.


1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard the term "format" or "formatting" to describe design. While I think I understand what you mean, I recommend that you seek other ways to describe this particular part of design that you enjoy. Read more writing by designers to learn the vocabulary and language we use. To start I suggest you listen to Design Matters Podcasts and read Print magazine (available in the library).

    ReplyDelete