Thursday, August 26, 2010

T1: Sketchin' "A"s, excuse me, "a"s.



The first day of Typography 1 was rushed due to Convocation. I did not appreciate that, although I did appreciate the free food.

Once reconvened, we were instructed to copy a series of five lowercase 'A's. I knew I should've taken Carl Kurtz' Calligraphy class.


My first work sheet looked like a mess.
The only drawing utensil I had was a pen. Ink isn't very forgiving. Further, we were supposed to attach descriptive words to the letterforms. Due to my frustration, "Mocking" and "Sadistic" popped into my head as descriptors.

Luckily, she let us have a fresh sheet and a night's rest. My second attempt turned out slightly better.

At least this time they are all in the same general location within the frame.

Typography is an intimidating class. Not because my peers are 'better' than I am or that the course work has gone over my head, but because people who study Typography have such a die hard emotional, passionate connection to it.

In time, I'll be identifying fonts just like the rest of the design nerds. At least I have disliking Comic Sans down.

No comments:

Post a Comment