Monday, August 29, 2011

Matrix: Rhetoric

[fun fact, the sequels to the Matrix film start with the letter R, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions]

To begin conceptualizing, we were asked to brainstorm signs that fit our musicians. Then, we plugged 10 signs into a Rhetoric Matrix. Out of the 100 potential spots in the grid, we had to fill out at least 50 of them. At first, it was extremely tough. Many of the tropes I was just beginning to fully grasp. Tropes are difficult enough to figure out in English class, let alone visual tropes!

My Working Word List:

Rhythm Section (piano, drums, synthesizer)
Quintet
Jam
Spark
Time/Key Signature
Bass/Bass Strings
Drums/Drumsticks
Magnolia/Flower
Accent
Global


Other Good Terms Not Used:
syncopation
progression
saxophone
bright
showmen
mellow
smooth
evolution
melody
weight
push
rise and fall
clarity


Full Matrix

Detail of Matrix

In a group, we then discussed which sketches were working and which weren't. I realized how conflicted I am about my impression of the Yellowjackets. I'm getting too complicated sometimes, by focusing on their history, but not in depth enough at other times because I am so conflicted. I need to focus on their current sound - not their jammy sound of yore. The main thing I "want" to do with the Yellowjackets is to illustrate their sound. They have a very clean, crisp, bright sound. Their style is also very rooted in complex compositions. 

In the group with Jamie at the helm, we discussed and selected some interesting tropes to move forward with. 

This is a personification of "accent". We liked how this showed the instruments of the quartet as well as the technical nature of their sound. 


This is a metaphor of "accent". I was trying to illustrate "fireworks" to show the nature of the power and confidence behind their sound. If I controlled the patterning more, this could be a really interesting piece. 


This is a metonymy of "quintet". Again, the group was interested in either seeing the four members OR the four instruments illustrated. They were also drawn to the rendering of sound - each instrument having its own visual language. It pairs abstraction with a solid, concrete base. 


This is a metaphor of "rhythm section". The idea of the instruments "working together" in a uniform system of mechanics is nice, however, it could relay the wrong message if rendered incorrectly. Not only do Yellowjackets operate in a very controlled environment, they are also known to break out of their own conventions.

Moving forward, I need to clarify my ideas, explore them a lot better, and make some decisions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment