Friday, April 1, 2011

Flannery O'Connor Book Project, Beginnings

During Spring Break, I read a series of three short stories by female author Flannery O'Connor. I read "The Life You Save May Be Your Own", "Good Country People", and "A Good Man is Hard to Find". From there, I did a series of conceptual sketches trying to get at symbolism in the story. These sketches will eventually become a series of three book covers to be used on mobile book devices.



After a quick in class crit with the entire Sophomore section, two - three directions were chosen for each person. The later two columns were chosen for my directions. We then did another series of sketches, tightening up the concept and form. 








One on one desk crits with Tyler helped me hone the concept into a more solid place. I chose the second direction, which has a dark figure with a sunset in the background. Today, we presented 3 full color book covers in class and had a very helpful critique.




As usual, I didn't spend near enough time with my type. It's awkward and doesn't know what it wants to do. It also distracts heavily from the image, which is arguably the most important component of my design. 

For Monday, we have another series of refined covers. This weekend, I'll be concentrating on type the most. My image is getting there, but also needs a good dose of refinement. Now that the gray clouds have cleared up, I'll have the opportunity to reshoot some of the sunsets and perhaps frame my base image better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment