Monday, February 28, 2011

Live Trace: Best Friend and Mortal Enemy

This weekend, I worked on line weight and refining my set. We just got out of class critique, where my peers reviewed my set as of now. We haven't seen each other's set for about a week, so it was interesting to see where everyone was in "iconing".  


The only positive feedback I got from critique was my stylistic choice. My peers felt it embodied the simplicity and organic nature of the Amish community.
There are a few things I'm still struggling with in my set. The line quality feels too "live trace", with awkward points and seamless curves. The bonnet and water pump feel completely disconnected and are practically illegible. The Bible and church are also a bit iffy as far as legibility goes.
Our final set is due Wednesday. After speaking with Jessie Ren, I've decided to eliminate the water pump and bonnet altogether. I'm fine with getting rid of the water pump due to its extreme verticality. The bonnet has been giving me trouble this entire project. I wanted to include it to keep the "feminine" touch in my set, but Jessie argued that it would conflict with the rest of the set, which is masculine. The Amish society is extremely patriarchal, anyways.  
Moving forward, I need to touch up all the line work and figure out proper proportions and arrangements of my set.

No comments:

Post a Comment