After attempting to figure out "who I am" and "what I'm about", I finally produced the French fold for Tyler's first assignment. We were asked to narrow down our image sets to just one Icon, Index, and Symbol. With my photos, I wanted to tell a linear story, as well as revel private information about myself. While my photography and conceptual interpretations are dark, the knowledge I pull from understanding my past provides my life with unmistakeable light.
My Icon is an image of myself, being blinded by my past, the scars, which you may or may not have noticed before. It is a vivid representation of the horror I've been through and overcome. My arm is in front of my eyes to symbolize the struggle I still have dealing with my past, how it sometimes blinds me.
My Indexical image is of my mother, a concerned version of her. She is the only one who understands the totality of what I have been through. She still constantly worries about me and I know that she always will. Perhaps the look on her face is the same one I will bear when I reach her age.
The symbol of a razor in an apple is familiar, yet still individually poetic. It illustrates the narrative wholly, letting you into a very dark world. My dark world. On the outside, an apple seems innocent. It isn't until you open it up that you find the razor blade hiding inside.
Overall, this project was fun while also being intense. When I am asked to "look inside myself", it often drudges up spooky, dark imagery. I'm anxious to continue to explore my interactions with myself and the world through the lens. It is an eye-opening and technically challenging medium to understand.


No comments:
Post a Comment