Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clearing up Symbol Confusion

This is the e-mail conversation between Tyler and I to clear up the symbol confusion.




Tyler, 

I was wondering if you could clear up an aspect of the project for me. I've been doing some thinking and have asked a few classmates. I've remained stumped and mildly confused. 

I understand the basic components of the project and how icon and index will function as a photo. I am confused as to how to photograph the "symbol" category. What I picture in my mind is literally drawing a symbol (or creating it graphically, etc.) and then photographing THAT. Many of my classmates have the same thought. Personally, that doesn't make sense to me to do and have it be a good image. 

Would it be acceptable, for example, to take an image of a toaster and then argue that it is my symbol? The only other solid idea I've had is to photograph my signature, as that is the only symbol I've acquired in my lifetime, but I worry that that won't be a good image either. 

Am I going down any proper path? Toaster or Signature?

The help you provide will be passed along to my classmates. 

Thank you very much, 

Sam K


xxx

hey sam,
good questions. categorically, the signature is a tough one, because while language (written and spoken) is largely symbolic, a signature is indexical (in my opinion) in that you can figure out who it is by reading the signature. i would say the "figuring out" weighs more strongly in this case than the symbolic nature of letters/words.

that said, i believe it is possible to make an interesting photograph of a signature. like any other subject, you have to play around with it and try lots of different approaches.

i will answer your question about "literally drawing a symbol" with another question: why does the symbol have to be flat? we're really just talking about different representational strategies -- 2d vs whatever. let's say your symbol is actually a toaster. you could still draw that toaster as a flat, graphic representation as well as photograph it, sculpt one, paint one on canvas, videotape one, illustrate one, etc etc.

to me, the question is "how is a toaster symbolic of you?". i know symbols are arbitrary associations, but as designers our job is to make something meaningful and usually that means making logical connections, not arbitrary ones. so some level of connection is smart. i used the coca-cola logo example with one of your classmates. that log (a symbol) flows like liquid -- it's not harshly geometric, so there is some connection between the symbol and the product. same thing for your element monograms. they're still symbolic, but have a lot of references to the element.

sorry that was so long. hopefully the thoroughness was helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment