Wednesday, October 13, 2010

About Sodium, Plus a little narrative


Sodium, Na        

Root Word: Natrium            
Element Classification: Metal
Atomic Number: 11          
Color: Silver
Atomic Weight: 22.98976928            
Period Number: 3
Melting Point: 370.95 K (208.04°F)            
Group Number: 1
Boiling Point: 1156 K (1621°F)             
Group Name: Alkali Metal
Density: 0.97 grams per cm3            
Discovered by: Sir Humphry Davy (1778 – 1829)
Crystal Structure: Cubic             
Discovered: in 1807
Phase at Room Temperature: Solid             
Obtained From: table salts and other foods



“Title of Story”

            I had lived with her peacefully for thousands of years; that is, before he came along. I hadn’t ever wanted to be free in nature; it simply isn’t what I know. Sure, I had been everywhere – down into the Earth’s crust, but everywhere I went, I was with her. My Cl. She kept me stable, she was my companion, she understood my softness, and she protected me from self-igniting when I was confronted with the dangers of the moisture-infested world.

            Then he came. For a while Cl and I remained together. His persistent attempts yielded his desired results eventually, after repeatedly torturing us with electricity so we’d let go of one another. He just never understood that I couldn’t be useful without someone else latched on to me. 



Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/davy_humphrey.shtml

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele011.html

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/na.html

No comments:

Post a Comment