Picture Essay:
The steps to dye paper for my book, Shacked.
Initial set up: Preheat over to 265 degrees (it's supposed to be 200,
but my oven doesn't go that low), boil a pot of water,
and set paper in a pan or cookie sheet, where it can lay mostly flat.
The paper for this test is high-quality laser paper.
For other tests, I used colored card-stock.
Add tea-bags to the heated water. I used 10 - 12 for a darker color.
The tea was $1.00 tea from Wal-Mart.
Stir until it looks dark and disgusting.
Coat the paper evenly, flipping it over to make sure
that there are no air pockets.
After soaking in tea for 5 minutes or so,
sponge up excess tea or
dump it in the sink.
Place it in the oven.
You'll know when the paper is ready when it starts to curl.
Take it out.
Set up a nifty ironing station.
If you are a poor, non-domestic college student,
sit on the floor and put a stack of newspaper underneath whatever you're ironing.
But, while you're on the floor...
My process was derived from this internet article:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4712140_antique-paper.htmll
Good step by step. I'll put a link to it on my blog b/c I think it will be helpful for other students and future reference.
ReplyDelete