Monday, September 13, 2010

Itten's Color Wheel/Color Harmonies


Look what I did in class today.
It glows.


What I learned about color today:

Warm:
Examples are yellow, orange, red-orange, red, red-violet.

Cool:
Examples are green, blue-green, blue, violet.

Neutral:
Black, gray, and white are ALWAYS neutral.

Tint:
The tint refers to the amount of brightness a color has. (Adding white)

Shade:
Adding black to a color creates a shade.



BASIC COLOR HARMONIES


Complementary:
Color pairs that are directly opposite each other on the color wheel. Most contrasting.

Analogous:
Combinations of two or more colors that are spaced equally from each other on the color wheel.

Triadic:
Combinations of any three colors that are spaced evenly around the color wheel.

Split Complementary:
Three-color schemes in which one color is paired with two others that are spaced equally from the first color's compliment.
I.E. Red with Blue Green and Yellow Green.

Double Complimentary (Tetradic):
Four colors arranged in two complimentary pairs, warms and cools.

Square:
Four colors spaced evenly around the wheel.


*Bonus lesson : when you are CUI (Colorizing Under the Influence), everything appears yellow.


And then I added this to the file.
It works better as a file than a graphic.


No comments:

Post a Comment