Friday, August 27, 2010

Anatomy Lesson


The lowercase k of the Garamond font is quite charming, or at least I think so. It's angles are implied, not forced, relying heavily on the elegance of a soft curve. The serifs are rounded and angular, yet still provide solid structure.
The lowercase Garamond k is like the beginning of a tree. It's a small sapling beginning to sprout. Its stem is sturdy and supportive, allowing appendages (leg and arm) to reach out and support weight of itself and sturdy serifs. The Old Style font sings to its origins as one of the first standard type faces. The bracket glides elegantly, connecting the bottom serif to the stem of the k.

Plainly, I just like this style of font. I am a small caps junkie and this font plays quite nicely into my addiction. It's classical, yet keeps up with the modern esthetic. What more could you seek in a font?

No comments:

Post a Comment